Thursday, March 9, 2017

Terrain Visualization

In order to highlight the Land Cover of Yellowstone National Park, terrain must be factored into the equation. In order to do this I applied a hillshade effect to a Digital Elevation Model (DEM) in order to give the illusion of three dimensions. I then symbolized the land cover in order to reflect tree species. I used a single hue to symbolize each species, and if multiple variations of their forestry growth cycle were present, I applied different saturation and value in order to create a ladder effect of color. I chose to leave the water blue for familiarity and the unforested areas light grey to symbolize the bedrock and prevent confusion with the forests. I the applied a transparency of 35% to allow the hill shade to shine through the Land Cover. The use of bold draws the attention to the title even though it is not placed in a traditional spot in order to promote a larger map and overall balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment